07 June 2012

IS Public Lecture: Kate Jinx


Woman's Kingdom:
Kate Jinx talks about the specific needs of genders and the radically gendered approaches to space. It is true that many spaces are gender-orientated and she talks about these spaces through an exploration of different single-gendered-communities.
The first comparison she makes is the "kitchen space" and how it is feminine and orientated at female residents. This brings her to the exploration of sharehouses and how living with the own gender promotes a sense of security.
She talks about the following communities:
- Asgarda (women-only society similar to the Amazons)
- Van Dykes (a feminist movement)
- Womens Liberation House in the 1970s
 In particular, her talk about how gender can change the dynamics of a space moved me as a design student because it made me realise that different gendered spaces can hold different significance. 

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

+

Blogroll

Welcome to my design blog! I am an Interior and Spatial Design student currently studying at the Design, Architecture & Building faculty of University of Technology, Sydney. This is a space to showcase my work (both for uni and freelance). Browse through my work and tell me what you think!

About